Amazon

Wednesday 28 March 2012

Bangkok 2012 - Part 2



After negotiating the multiple labyrinthine stairways leading from the false world of air conditioned chrome and glass modern travel, the noise, and grunge of the street reality hits home — I am in a foreign city. I know roughly where I am, and where I want to be, but getting there is made harder by the cacophonous traffic, stifling heat, and humidity. The effect on the 60% of my body that is water is to grab its passport and leave. It wants to be somewhere else … not in me.

After bumping into two other equally clueless farangs, a Cannuk and a Dutch, we decided to pool resources, grab a taxi and strike out in search of lodgings, street food, and most importantly, cold beer. We are dropped in the old section of Bangkok, nestled within a bend of the sleepy Chao Phraya. It is a bustling mix of local houses and shops, food stalls made of core-flute and discarded tautliner material, held together with rope, bungee, MacGuyver-esque skill, and a modicum of good luck.

They jostle for pavement space with tourist stalls cascading with cheap fake consumer goods. These are randomly interspersed with vegetarian hippie restaurants, deep trance beer barns, and a wide variety of accommodation pitched at the budget conscious traveller.

Under these trying conditions, finding a bed for the night can be a daunting proposition. This, of course is not helped by my already peaking stress levels, induced by leaving a large proportion of my luggage behind at the ATM in the Airport. Discovering this more than minor oversight just after you have negotiated escalators, travelators and security gates, and are about to board the train into town, is enough to break the most travel hardened road warrior into an asthma wheezing, incoherent mess.

Therefore, I parked myself in the shade with my recently reacquainted luggage, and left the task of securing accommodation to my much less encumbered travelling companion.

During the five-minute walk to our new short-term home, every pore on my body is working overtime to remove what was left of my internal fluids. When we arrive I am in a semi-delusional state, and gratefully accept that which is offered, if only so I can unburden myself, shower, regroup my thoughts, and get that cold beer.


No comments:

Post a Comment