Amazon

Friday 9 August 2013

2013 Tour de Bali - Stage 5.1

Ubud

Through good luck and good fortune, the team have left our bikes with us 'till the next riding stage. We aim to take full advantage as they will afford a level of freedom not provided by the 2-hourly hotel shuttle bus into town.



After resting poolside post lunch, we saddle up and sans padded shorts and helmets, venture forth to search for good food and cold beer. Within 1 kilometre I spy what I have been looking for since we arrived, sate kambing (goat). The refrigerated, pre-skewered meat is quickly marinaded and then cooked over coconut husks reduced to charcoal by a swiftly turning fan. The chef - for this is a skill not learned overnight - then deftly wraps them, with an accompanying sauce, in grease-proof paper. Stapled shut, the neat little package is ready to take away for consumption. But I'm in no mood to take this anywhere; I'm in a mood to consume this straight away. The cooking smells have my juices flowing, and I will have my way with them; right here and right now!



Next stop is a taco restaurant - my travelling companion has a hankering. He says they are the best he has ever had - anywhere.

For old time’s sake I want to find a little warung makan I frequented on my last trip to Ubud. Although just off a busy street, it is just far enough for a little peace and quiet. I'd sit here in the afternoon, slowly sipping a cold beer and reading a book. Balinese life would play itself out on the street, kids coming home from school would reappear to kick a ball, or play chasey; people would park their scooters while they waited for a take-away meal; women passing would stop and chat with each other. To really observe, you need to stop and let the world spin around you.



It is just as I remember: only a few tables, a bit grimy, but the owner / cook is as always, cheerful. And she makes the best Nasi goreng this side of Jakarta.

Good times.

For those playing at home, we rode 7k.


No comments:

Post a Comment